What's a cookie?
A "cookie" is a piece of information that is stored on your computer's hard drive and which records how you move your way around a website so that, when you revisit that website, it can present tailored options based on the information stored about your last visit. Cookies can also be used to analyse traffic and for advertising and marketing purposes.
Cookies are used by nearly all websites and do not harm your system.
Cookies are either:
- Session cookies: these are only stored on your computer during your web session and are automatically deleted when you close your browser – they usually store an anonymous session ID allowing you to browse a website without having to log in to each page but they do not collect any personal data from your computer;
- Persistent cookies: a persistent cookie is stored as a file on your computer and it remains there when you close your web browser. The cookie can be read by the website that created it when you visit that website again. [We use persistent cookies for Google Analytics.]
Cookies can also be categorised as follows:
- Strictly necessary cookies: These cookies are essential to enable you to use the website effectively, such as when buying a product and / or service, and therefore cannot be turned off. Without these cookies, the services available to you on our website cannot be provided. These cookies do not gather information about you that could be used for marketing or remembering where you have been on the internet.
- Performance cookies: These cookies enable us to monitor and improve the performance of our website. For example, they allow us to count visits, identify traffic sources and see which parts of the site are most popular.
- Functionality cookies: These cookies allow our website to remember choices you make and provide enhanced features. For instance, we may be able to provide you with news or updates relevant to the services you use. They may also be used to provide services you have requested such as viewing a video or commenting on a blog. The information these cookies collect is usually anonymised.
If you want to check or change what types of cookies you accept, this can usually be altered within your browser settings. You can block cookies at any time by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
How to manage cookies in the browser
Users have the option of allowing, blocking or removing the cookies installed in their equipment by configuring the options of the browser installed in their terminal:
To adjust cookie-related permits in the Google Chrome browser:
- Click on the toolbar menu.
- Select Configuration.
- Click on Show advanced options.
- In the ‘Privacy’ section, click on the Content settings
- You can configure the options in the ‘Cookies’ section.
To adjust cookie-related permits in the Mozilla Firefox browser:
- In the top part of the Firefox window, click on the Tools
- Select the Privacy
- In the Firefox option you can choose Use custom settings for history to configure the options.
To adjust cookie-related permits in the Internet Explorer 9 browser:
- In the top part of the Internet Explorer window, click on the Tools menu.
- Select the Security tab and use the Delete browsing history option to delete the cookies. Highlight the ‘Cookies’ box and then click on Delete.
- Select the Security tab and access Settings. Move the slide control totally upwards to block all cookies or totally downwards to allow all cookies. After this, click on Accept.
In some browsers you can configure specific rules to manage cookies by website. This provides more precise control over privacy and means that you can disable cookies from all sites except from those which you trust.
Disabling or deleting cookies
You may exercise your right to disable or delete cookies from this website at any time. These actions are performed differently depending on which browser you are using.
If you wish to know how to disable cookies in the most popular web browsers, access the following tutorials:
- Google Chrome https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95647?hl=es
- Mozilla Firefox http://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/habilitar-y-deshabilitar-cookies-que-los-sitios-we
- Internet Explorer https://support.microsoft.com/es-es/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
- Safari for iOS (iPhone and iPad) https://support.apple.com/es-es/HT201265
- ChromeForAndroid https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/114662?hl=es&visit_id=0-636251939016507987-2717174731&rd=1
- Opera http://help.opera.com/Windows/11.50/es-ES/cookies.html
Please note this is subject the information for the individual browsers is subject to change outside of our control. Please see the necessary website for further details.